Wednesday, June 21, 2006

James 5:7-12 Patience in Suffering

7Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. 9Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

10Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

12Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned.

Patience is the word of the day today. I am so excited and anxious about this ministry that the Lord has me in, that I sometimes get ahead of myself. I must be having an impact as I have gotten more emails this past week than I have since I started writing about my witnessing. I find that when I stand up and preach the truth about what God says in the Bible, people get irked. I want two reactions when I preach the word. I want people to get mad, or to get converted. At least I am having some impact.

I am still sometimes anxious to see some results that are positive every time and I get frustrated when people misjudge my efforts. I've got to remember to be patient, and stand firm. I'm not here to argue with people. I'm not here to grumble with my neighbor, nor to judge them. The Judge of the Universe is more than capable of doing that for Himself, and is standing at the door ready to do so.

It would be easier for me to sit back and enjoy the Christian music and the wonderful fellowship with those in the church rather to stand up and be ridiculed by those who consider themselves intellectuals. But, I am called to preach the truth. I'm called to preach the reality of the coming judgment against all of us who sin, against all of us who lie, steal, lust, blaspheme, and don't put God above ourselves. I'm also supposed to tell of God's mercy and compassion to those very same people

If I can remember how patient He was with me, and how much compassion and mercy I've been granted, I can only pray that I have a fraction of that to all who ridicule me. I can only pray that God will be just as patient with everyone, and I know that His will is that none shall perish. I'm willing to perservere and see what the Lord plans to finally bring about.

No comments: