Saturday, March 18, 2006

Ten Things

I got an email just now from a friend that I know is not a Christian.

Ten Things God Won’t Ask on That Day…

1... God won't ask what kind of car you drove. He'll ask how many people you drove who didn’t have transportation.

2... God won't ask the square footage of your house, He'll ask how many people you welcomed into your home.

3... God won't ask about the clothes you had in your closet, He'll ask how many you helped to clothe.

4... God won't ask what your highest salary was. He'll ask if you compromised your character to obtain it.

5.... God won't ask what your job title was. He'll ask if you performed your job to the best of your ability.

6... God won't ask how many friends you had. He'll ask how many people to whom you were a friend.

7.... God won't ask in what neighborhood you lived, He'll ask how you treated your neighbors.

8... God won't ask about the color of your skin, He'll ask about the content of your character.

9... God won't ask why it took you so long to seek Salvation. He'll lovingly take you to your mansion in heaven, and not to the gates of Hell.

10... God won't have to ask how many people you forwarded this to; He already knows your decision.

My rebuttal…
Ten Things God WILL ask on that day…

1. Have you ever loved anything better than God? Have you made a god of your belly, your business, your family or of yourself?
2. Have you put anything in the place of God? Have you made a God of “Love” that is in your own image and creation that would never send anyone to Hell?
3. Have you taken God’s name in vain? Have you used His holy name as a substitution for a four letter filth word?
4. Have you not always set aside a day for God? Have you rested in Him or in your works?
5. Have you ever been disobedient to your parents? Have you always given them the honor that they are due?
6. Have you ever been angry with your brother? Jesus calls this murder in the heart.
7. Even if you haven’t committed outright adultery, have you ever looked at another person you aren’t married to and had lustful thoughts? Jesus says you have already committed adultery with that person in your heart.
8. Have you ever taken something that was not yours? It doesn’t matter the value of the object.
9. Have you always been honest in everything that you have said? Have you ever lied, even once?
10. Have you ever desired more than God has given you?

Guess what. I can answer yes to all these questions. They show me what I look like in God’s eyes – the only eyes that matter. I can compare myself to others and fool myself into thinking I am a good person, but God clearly sees the inner workings of my heart. Imagine a computer chip implanted behind the ear that would record every thought I have throughout the day, and at the end of a month, it was all shown up on a movie screen for my friends and family to see. I would be horrified.

There is one more question that God does ask us “on that day”.

Who will pay your fine? You are guilty of breaking the Law, and justice must be served. God is a GOOD God that must punish evil. I will answer that eleventh question, “Jesus Christ”. God’s own son came down as a man born of a virgin, committed no sin and suffered and died to pay the fine for MY transgressions. For every time I broke the Law, he paid the price.

Today, I repent (turn from my sin), and put my trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, the way that a jumper puts his trust in a parachute when he knows he has to jump from the plane. I hold onto Him tightly as though my very life depends on Him.

How about you?

2 comments:

Andreas said...

Great response Dru! I thought about it when I read what your friend wrote, and I think you wrote an excellent "answer" to him..

It's kind of great when people break the ice, and it's just to fling in the gospel, right?

A.

dleger said...

It is amazing how the Lord places opportunities in fornt of us. I'll pray for your friend.