Tuesday, February 20, 2007

John 16

1 "All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you.
Continuing the thought from the end of the last chapter, Jesus is making it clear that when you truly follow Him, you will be hated by the world, and even those in the so-called church. I find that I run into three types of people when I share my faith. Atheists, who, even though they might not be convinced by my argument, thank me for taking the time to explain what Christianity is. Christians, who are so excited about hearing the gospel articulated running out to go share their faith with people. And the third group is people in the church who are actually offended by hearing the gospel. They "put me out of the synagogue". The only explanation I can find here is that anyone who is in the church who does not like hearing about Jesus is because they neither know the Father or Jesus. Remember, Jesus warned us of this. So, don't get discouraged. Just get out there and faithfully share the gospel. The Holy Spirit will do the rest.

No comments: