Did you have any nicknames growing up that you would be willing to share?
Share the most positive name you have ever been called.
As we attempt to fill our language with good things, let us start with praising the Lord for the good things he has done in our life. Read Psalm 111 and then begin to pray with praise for the Lord.
- Read Eph. 4:29. What are the kinds of “unwholesome” talk you have heard in the last month?
- Ephesians 5:4 talks about “obscenity, foolish talk and coarse joking.” What impact does this kind of talk really have on us and our relationships? Can you give any personal examples?
- Based on Matthew 12:34, we know there is a relationship between our mouth and heart. How can we allow the positive and encouraging things that are in our hearts to better flow from our mouth?
- How do you react when someone uses the Lord’s name as a profanity?
- Share with the group some of the ways you have learned to deal with profanity in your own life.
- What are some ways you can focus on the “right, noble, pure, lovely, admirable” things as Philippians 4:8 tells us?
- Break into groups of two or three and pray for each other in this area of the language we use.
In your group of two or three share how you can remove or improve something to be a better witness for Christ.