Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The High Priest Questions Jesus

19 Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.

20 "I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. 21 Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said."

22 When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. "Is this the way you answer the high priest?" he demanded.

23 "If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" 24 Then Annas sent him, still bound, to Caiaphas the high priest.
I've been talking with a lot of people lately, and everyone has their idea of what Jesus taught, or what Christianity is, or even what religion is supposed to do. I'm amazed at when professing Christians even tell me what their religion is supposed to mean. One of the reasons I'm going through the book of John here (and eventually the whole Bible) is to slow down and take a look at what God says Christianity is supposed to do. Let's ask those who heard Jesus. Surely they know what He said.

No comments: